Thursday, October 28, 2010

Judy Garland's Autograph

While I have never been a major MGM Wizard of Oz collector I do have a few things and I do really love the film. One of the first MGM-related autographs I ever got was Judy Garland's. A friend (a major Garland expert) gave it to me when I was a teenager.

While it's not a photograph or anything Oz-related, I really like that it tells a bit of a story. It is a canceled check made out by Judy Garland to the IRS in the amount of $13, 931.13. The check is dated October 14, 1963 and therefore coincides with the time she was appearing on television in The Judy Garland Show.


I like that the check and signature come from a very creative and (I hope) happy time in Garland's life. And this kind of autograph just feels perhaps more real than a signed photo would. It's a peek backstage into a very real and very important moment in Garland's life.




1 comment:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

Nice to able to owe that much in taxes. Especially in 1963!