Friday, November 12, 2010

Me Go Mego

Last week's Mego blog was very popular, so today you get a bit of an encore!

A few days ago I ran across my copy of the Sears Toy Catalog from 1977 (which I've been safely saving since I snagged it way back when). The page of special interest features the main five Oz dolls, and the Wicked Witch and her Castle playset - which was a Sears exclusive. Sears had previously sold "The Wizard" as a special order, too, though when I ordered an extra Wizard he came in generic packaging - not the rare Mego Wizard display packaging.



I loved the Witch's Castle playset. I don't actually have one anymore as mine was lost in a fire when I was a teenager. But if anyone wants to send me a Witch's Castle ... as a present ... well...

3 comments:

ozmahime said...

I think the Glinda doll is the best looking of the lot. But they all have sort of a charm to them.

Anonymous said...

Were you re-enacting the "how about a fire, Scarecrow" scene when things went awry?

I still have my Mego Tinman (minus the heart sticker). Probably my oldest Oz purchase still in my possession.

David Maxine said...

I always thought the Tin Woodman was the best of the figures. Partly just because the character worked better in plastic - needing no fabric clothing and no hair or fur or straw.