Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Scarecrow Goes to College!

In doing much research on the 1903 Wizard of Oz musical for my 2 CD set of Vintage Recordings from the show and my current book project, I have become a fan of Fred Stone who created the role of the Scarecrow. While I have only read of his amazing, amusing, and acrobatic antics on stage, I have seen quite a few of his films from later in his life, and I've got quite a little scrapbook of photos, clippings and odd bits relating to Fred Stone.

One thing I did not have until today was one of his Scarecrow sketches. Occasionally when he signed his autograph he would doodle a Scarecrow. I've seen a dozen or so of these over the years, but either lost out in the bidding, or thought the asking price was too high, but I knew I'd eventually find one.

I'm quite happy with this one. It is large, measuring about 6" x 9" and drawn in pencil which I think adds some subtlety to Stone's drawing. This particular sketch is on the back of a guide book for Knowles Memorial Chapel at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida dated 1937.

I have not yet deciphered the second autograph. Any guesses?

5 comments:

Bill Campbell said...

It looks like it could be Larry O'Connor? At any rate, what a fun piece!

Nasal Noteworthy said...

What's your current book project?

David Maxine said...

It's a coffee-table type book on the 1903 Wizard of Oz musical.

David Maxine said...

new pet theory on the second autograph: The "Larry" in the second autograph is quite possibly the same "Lawrence" that Fred Stone signed the autograph to. Larry" is simply giving his girlfriend "Jeannie" the Fred Stone autograph.

Nasal Noteworthy said...

The news of your book project is most exciting. I have long been fascinated by the 1903 production and after purchasing your 2 CD set of the music I know you will do a fine job. I can hardly wait!